Chocolate/almond cake, my take on the recipe
You requested it, so here it is ! The oh-so-loved chocolate and almond cake, but with a healthy twist to it ! Refined sugar free and gluten free, you could also make this recipe vegan if you like.
It tastes as good as the real thing, I promise ! With this healthy and delicious cake, you will be able to have the treat without the guilt !
Even my collegues loved it :D
And the best thing is, it's very easy to make, even for a girl like me, who is hopeless at cooking.
First, a few pieces of advice :
- As much as possible, use organic produce ; especially when it comes to eggs, because the hens are treated more humanely (when they are stressed, it has a negative impact on the nutritional qualities of the eggs).
- It is best to use lecithin free chocolate (lecithin is an additive). Also, check the ingredients to make sure that cacao is the first one on the list (rather than sugar...) because ingredients are listed in order of quantity.
- Use coconut sugar, it is very rich in minerals and has a low glycemic index. It has a subtle caramel note, and doesn't taste of coconut at all (good for those who don't like the taste of coconut).
- Use a stainless steel baking pan. Stay clear of non-stick pans because they are potentially carcinogenic (with high heat, microplastics get in the food).
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 100g 70% cacao dark chocolate
- 70g coconut sugar (optional, because the chocolate is sweetened)
- 50g almond powder
- 25g cold pressed virgin coconut oil (or butter)
- 3 eggs (or 3 ripe bananas + 200g rice flour + 100cl almond milk if you're going for the vegan recipe)
- A baking pan
- An electric mixer (or elbow grease)
- Preaheat your oven to 180°C and grease your baking pan with coconut oil or butter.
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate on low heat (you could also melt it over a bain marie) together with the coconut oil or the butter. Put to one side.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. In a large bowl, whisk the yolks and the coocnut sugar until pale yellow. Add the melted chocolate and coconut oil, the almond powder, and stir the mixture until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them gently into your batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool down before removing it from the pan.
If you try this recipe, don't forget to let me know how you liked it :D
Thank you for reading :D